Scott's Song by Song #96: Johan Steensland - The Triphant

 


Welcome to issue #96 of Scott’s Song By Song (#scottssongbysong).

Today, I am reviewing the latest album by Swedish multi-instrumentalist/vocalist/composer Johan Steensland, titled “The Triphant”.  You may recall that I reviewed his previous album “Duality” in November of 2025 and really enjoyed it, giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars.  In that review, I gave a bit of information regarding his background, which I won’t repeat here.  Just click on the label for his name to find it on this blog.  When Anne-Claire of Bad Dog Promotions offered me this one to review, I accepted without hesitation.  His previous two albums, “Duality” and “Crossfade” were rock operas, with each character sung by a different singer.  This time around, however, while still a concept album telling a story, Johan chose to tell the story through a single narrator (himself).  The story, according to the information I received, revolves around:

“a painter, Dennis, and a computer scientist, Anika, and how their random meeting opens an unexpected door to the drastic change of paths they both crave. However, change is rarely simple. Will they? Can they? Are they willing to pay the price?”

Here are the album credits:

Music, story and music by Johan Steensland
Mixed and mastered by Johan Steensland and Rune Fränne
Vocals, bass, guitars, keyboards: Johan Steensland
Drums: Jonathan Lundberg
Keyboard solo on (9): Emily Francis
Flute and oboe: Ture Trygger
Piano on (10) and (11): Ingemar Brandt
Fretless bass on (4): Owe Eriksson

Cover painting by Javier Herbozo
Design and Layout by Ken Sandin

As indicated above, the album was provided courtesy of Anne-Claire Rallo of Bad Dog Promotions, and as always, I am free to call it like I hear it, and receive no additional compensation.  As per my usual method, this is a cold listen.

Track 1 - Intro (1:54)

We begin with a guitar fanfare with a dark edge to it.  The bass and drums provide accents.  A steady beat emerges and the synth takes over the spotlight.  Things soon turn quiet and set the stage for what is to come.

Track 2 - The Parade of Dancing Toddlers (2:18)

Carnival sounds and a “barker” create a soundscape that will be taken over by Johan and Lundberg.  Lundberg has a marching band rhythm on the drums.  The carnival sounds alternate with the band.  I love the layers of music Steensland has created here.  A unique piece that I enjoyed!

Track 3 - Stroke by Stroke (4:57)

A combination of clean guitar and synth sounds lead into a mid-tempo rock groove, with a bit of an 80s vibe.  Johan sings for the first time here.  This is a rock song with more sophisticated chord voicings and changes.  Story-wise, Dennis, the painter, is envisioning his future. While initially feeling like his future was bleak, he redoubles his resolve to paint the greatest painting he’s ever created–”Stroke by Stroke”.  There is a cool “breakdown” musically after 3:30, before returning to the final verse, where he sings in his upper ranges, fantastically!  Excellent track.

Track 4 - The Lab Rat’s Escape (5:17)

This begins with melancholy piano notes.  I believe we are being introduced to Anika, the computer scientist here.  She is confronting her self-doubts and plans to “escape” the life she feels trapped in.  Owe Eriksson’s fretless bass is a nice touch.  Steensland’s vocal performance is amazing.  This falls into the “hauntingly beautiful” category.   Lovely track.

Track 5 - Save Me From My Dreams (4:41)

This has a dramatic, energetic intro.  Great drum fills from Lundberg.  Anika realizes that she needs “The Painter”.  She feels anxious, but goes to his home and knocks.  She still feels self-doubt even after knocking.  Musically, there are syncopated, odd-meters and a triumphant synth solo.  Steensland’s voice, as always, is clear and dynamic, with a great range.  Good song!

Track 6 - Nothing’s Wrong (7:50)

This is the second longest track on the album, and closes out “Act 1”.  After a big fanfare, quiet, pensive, piano takes over to provide accompaniment for Steensland’s voice.  The intensity begins to build after the first verse.  This has a wonderful soundscape which facilitates the listener escaping into the world of the story.  I love the change that happens around 2:30.   We can imply that Anika has come to Dennis to commission a painting, but he is debating with himself as to whether or not to accept it.  We are introduced to “The Triphant” here, which seems to be coined by Steensland for this story: 

A surface painted smooth
With the triphant in demand
An artist’s journey forever changed

Just before the six-minute mark, the music turns “dreamy”.  But soon after it crescendoes into a melodic guitar solo.   This brings us to the end of the track.

Track 7 - Give It to Me! (4:44)

This begins with Ture Trygger’s oboe with a forlorn melody. When the drums and bass kick in, it has a bit of a Fish-era Marillion flavor.  The music takes a turn for the dramatic in the choruses.  Not really sure what is happening here, but it seems very sinister when Dennis demands that Anika should “Give it to me!”  I think he is trying to get through her emotional shields.  The following instrumental section builds in intensity and has some great drum fills.  It eventually explodes into a staccato precision syncopated riff that is simply prog-tastic before returning for another chorus.  Cool track!

Track 8 - The Sitting (2:54)

Quiet piano notes with subtle accompaniment start out this one.  Trygger returns on flute, and the music builds slowly.  This seems to be an instrumental interlude   Very peaceful.  

Track 9 - Lay Down Your Guns (5:20)

A short synth upsweep takes us right into the first verse with a syncopated rhythm.I believe Dennis is attempting to get Anika to reveal her inner self.  I believe she is the subject of his painting, and she finally let her defenses down.  

She took the final step
Oh, so brave and proud
She revealed herself
She felt so alive

At around 3:10, it goes into a proggy synth solo that has a slight fusion feel to it.  Another chorus follows, then the song winds down. One of my favorites on the album.

Track 10 - The Calling (4:39)

A high-hat and percussion rhythm initiates this one.  Synth enters to accompany the vocals.  The beat turns to a 6-8 shuffle as we proceed.  I believe Dennis is falling in love with Anika after she has let her shields down.  

Someone’s got to pull her weight
When she’s not strong
Someone has to lead her through the dark
Although she feels that she is falling

Pretty good track, maybe not as strong as some of the others, though.

Track 11 - Layers of Skin (8:02)

The longest track on the album to close out “Act 2” and the album itself.  Piano and synth begin with a sense of anticipation that gets released at around 40 seconds in a big powerful fanfare.  The music quiets again down to piano and the vocals.   At around 2:40 the music gets big again!  After a repeat of the fanfare, there is a guitar solo that is reminiscent of Steve Lukather in Toto’s “I Won’t Hold You Back”.  Quiet sections alternate with louder ones.  I believe he is hoping she will let him into her heart.  

He holds her now, 
he won’t let go 
If she lets him in, 
he will stay inside

There is some wonderful guitar playing, and Johan’s ad libbed high-pitched vocals are breathtaking near the ending.  A fantastic track


OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

As I have said many times throughout my articles, I am a music first, lyrics later kind of a guy.  I am attempting to focus more on the lyrics as I grow as a writer.  Musically and vocally, this album at least equals its predecessor, and might even surpass it slightly.  Lyrically, it left me uncertain.  “The Triphant” is only mentioned once with no clear explanation as to what it is.  My best guess is that it is Anika’s inner self, as represented in the cover artwork.  

After a bit of digging into the album cover booklet I was provided, I discovered that the two main characters’ backstories were written there, but still no Triphant…It turns out from a prompt on the album cover that the full story is on his webpage, here:


I am going to give it a spoiler alert, but The Triphant is represented on the cover art, but it is not what I thought.  

All in all I give this one a 4.5 out of 5 stars (90%)  as well!  It is a very rewarding listening experience. I believe that Johan is trying to make us think about who we really are inside, not just what we show the outside world.  Strongly recommended.

—

Thanks for reading.  If you enjoy my content, please react, comment, share and follow my page.  
Also, I have now compiled all of my reviews and spotlights going back to the 100 Greatest Prog Albums challenge on this Blogger site.  I hope you’ll check it out while you are here:


Please SUBSCRIBE if you like what you see, and COMMENT on my posts there!  If you really like what you see, then “Buy Me a Pizza” at the link on the left!

Check out my Amazon Storefront and my “merch” below:

NEW!! My Amazon Storefront...Buy great music and support me as a creator:

Also NEW!! Buy a T-Shirt! (Or a Keyring)



Prog On!
Scott

__

LINKS FOR LISTENING/BUYING:

Album teaser:
(There is a shot in which my review of “Duality” is mentioned!)

“Lay Down Your Guns”

“Save Me From My Dreams”

It can be pre-ordered on his website:

The two singles are on his Bandcamp page, and I presume that the album will be there upon release.


Comments

Popular Posts