Scott's Song by Song #91: PsychoYogi - World of Danger
Welcome to issue #91 of Scott’s Song by Song (#scottssongbysong). For more information about this series, click here:
https://www.facebook.com/share/Gc2VkwHQWGLdeaDd/?mibextid=oFDknk
PsychoYogi are a UK prog band formed in 2010 and led by guitarist/vocalist/composer Chris Ramsing. The line up has evolved since their 2011 debut but has stabilized over the last few releases. Chris recently reached out to me to review the band’s latest album “A World of Danger”, released on November 28, 2025. As with my previous review, while it is not brand new or pre-release, it is certainly not an “old” album. This is their tenth studio album. According to Chris:
“There is no theme, the main thing that connects the tunes is the downfall of mankind in the 21st century, each song has its own story…”
As always, I receive no additional compensation other than the review copy of the album, and I always call it like I hear it. This is a cold listen.
The line up for the album is:
- Chris Ramsing / guitar, vocal
- Izzy Stylish / bass
- Tim Smart / trombone
- Ben Woodbine-Craft / violin
- Justin Casey / drums
(How many prog bands sport a full-time trombonist? I would suspect there are few others, if any!)
Track 1 - World of Danger (5:55)
Jumping right in with the title track. It begins with a cool jazzy rhythm, and Tim Smart’s trombone is prominent from the get-go. This has a very cool groove. The vocals could come out a little more but still sounds good. Chris has a reverse-recorded guitar solo at around the 2-minute mark. Loving the vibe of this. The arrangement is very creative. Izzy and Justin are a very talented rhythm section. The feeling is slightly sinister, like a film noir gangster. This really lives up to its title and sets the stage for a world of danger.
Track 2 - Sometimes (2:49)
This stays jazzy, but with a different groove. Lots of timing changes. I like Justin’s cymbal work; not to mention the guiro and other assorted percussion novelties. The overall effect is slightly disorienting and implies a bit of a break with sanity. The closing verse kind of sums it up:
In the asylum we’re safe for a while and there’s no expectations of who we should be, time doesn’t matter and words have no meaning and less information is key.
Another very cool track, albeit a short one!
Track 3 - Blue in Rap City (3:05)
The title is certainly a play on George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”. The jazzy vibes continue, this time in a “joyfully strutting down the street” kind of way. This is such a unique sounding band! This one has a bit of a swing to it, but some odd meters keep you guessing. Izzy is walking all over the bass! Chris plays some classic jazz solos along the way. Tim Smart’s trombone is very prominent. Ben Woodbine-Craft’s violin, thus far, hasn’t stood out, but has contributed in an ensemble serving fashion. Another fun, unique track!
Track 4 - Mutual Agenda (2:59)
The bass and drums play a few short rhythmic phrases, then, right on cue, the band kicks in and Ben is featured on violin. I promise this is a cold listen, typed in real time as I play each track. The contrasts between the instrumental segments are very interesting. The instrumental phrases are like a big band jazz thing, but the verses have vocals with guitar with a chorus effect on it. Another track that is unlike anything I have ever heard! (That’s a good thing.)
Track 5 - The Strangest Places (3:01)
An air of mystery and Eastern flavor surrounds this one. Again, I’d like the vocals to be more out front. This feels like a snake-charmer dance. Super-cool! These guys are very talented! I like it! Just wish it were longer!
Track 6 - Do That Dance (2:26)
As we might expect, the jazziness continues. This one is a bit “sultry”. The lyrics deal with individualism, and not falling in line with the crowd:
I don’t want to do that dance, smoke that thing or wear those pants, Parties make me feel remote, help me find the antidote.
I don’t want to pierce my nose, shave my head or decompose, fake a smile to win romance, I don’t want to do that dance.
A quick, fun little track.
Track 7 - Moron (2:56)
This has a tom-tom, smoky night club from back in the day, kind of a vibe. Very quirky! Middle Eastern style melodies help flavor the sound. Another cool, but short, jazzy track.
Track 8 - For the Future (4:30)
Belly-dance vibes abound! Very syncopated rhythms and odd meters are a big part of this. I like the unison instrumental phrases that are as tight as can be. This one makes me bob my head as I’m listening and typing. I like the vocal layering in the closing vocal section. The instruments take over to close it out. Cool tune!
Track 9 - In Sight of the Goal (4:15)
This one is also very syncopated, but not as bouncy as its predecessor. Much of it is in a meter of 7. Their arrangements are all so uniquely “them”. Good track, but maybe not the strongest track on the album.
Track 10 - Wonder Why (3:52)
This one is a little bluesy; yet proggy too. Chris has such a nice, clean guitar tone. The trombone is what really gives the band their flavor. The final verse really asks a profound question:
There’s something troubling me, I can’t begin to see,
why children starve to please the rich,
I’m sure you all agree and what will be will be.
Kind of the state of the world right now.
OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
This album goes to show that progressive isn’t always defined by long tracks and head-spinning technically difficult phrases. That should not imply that this isn’t a very talented band; they indeed are quite talented. This was a very difficult album for me, not in the sense of not liking it–I liked it a lot–but rather in the sense of having references jump into my mind for points of comparison. While I was aware of PsychoYogi prior to hearing this album, I hadn’t heard very much until now. That is a situation that I intend to rectify, as I have added every available album to my streaming library. They don’t sound like anyone that I am familiar with. And that is no easy task with there being so much music out there to listen to under the prog umbrella. Overall, I give this a 4.5 out of 5 (90%). If you already know PsychoYogi, then you already know it’s unique. If, like me before listening to this album, you don’t know them, I would highly recommend checking them out. If their earlier albums are anything like this one, they have carved out a unique niche in our prog world.
—
Thanks for reading. If you enjoy my content, please react, comment, share and follow my page.
Also, I have now compiled all of my reviews and spotlights going back to the 100 Greatest Prog Albums challenge on this Blogger site. I hope you’ll check it out while you are here:
Please SUBSCRIBE if you like what you see, and COMMENT on my posts there! If you really like what you see, then “Buy Me a Pizza” at the link on the left!
Check out my Amazon Storefront and my “merch” below:
NEW!! My Amazon Storefront...Buy great music and support me as a creator:
Also NEW!! Buy a T-Shirt!
https://4u7d2t-4h.myshopify.com/
Prog On!
Scott
__
LINK for Listening/buying:
Get it on Bandcamp:
https://psychoyogi.bandcamp.com/album/world-of-danger
There do not appear to be any songs from this album on YouTube, but there are songs from previous albums.



Comments
Post a Comment