Scott's Song by Song #89: Lonely Robot - An Ending
Welcome to issue #89 of Scott’s Song By Song (#scottssongbysong).For more information about this series, click here:
https://www.facebook.com/share/Gc2VkwHQWGLdeaDd/?mibextid=oFDknk
Lonely Robot is a solo project of Irish prog guitarist extraordinaire John Mitchell. John’s resume is amazing! John is or has been a member of It Bites, Arena, Frost*, Kino, A, The Urbane, and Asia. His list of guest appearances is far too long to list here, but I know he is on Karmakanic’s latest album Transmutation. In addition to being an amazing, in demand guitarist, John is a wonderful singer as well. John has been releasing his solo material as "Lonely Robot” since 2015’s “Please Come Home”. “The Big Dream” (2017), “Under Stars” (2019), “Feelings are Good” (2020), “A Model Life” (2022) all followed, and I have enjoyed material from every one of them. Now, John is set to release “An Ending” on September 11, 2026. As the title implies, John intends this to be the final Lonely Robot album.
Here are the credits:
- John Mitchell / vocals, guitars, bass guitar, keyboards
- Craig Blundell / drums
With:
- Jez Fielder / guitars (8,9)
Craig Blundell is best known for his work with Frost* and Steven Wilson’s solo material. Among other things, Jez Fielder is known for his band Indigo Down. Additionally, the album has fantastic artwork from Graeme Purdy Bell. The album comes courtesy of John’s PR rep, Sarah Ewing. As always, I receive no further compensation, and I call it like I hear it. As per my usual method, this is a cold listen.
Track 1 - This World Window (2:26)
The track fades in with synth sounds playing a rhythmic pattern. John’s vocals soon join in singing about being a Lonely Robot who’s come to say goodbye. There are some wonderful harmonies along the way. It ends with some sound effects and spoken words I can’t make out. A bittersweet opener.
Track 2 - Show the Way (4:39)
A keyboard pattern with a sustained flute-like sound starts us off, then a fast energetic beat kicks in. There are some odd-meters changing things up. I love the vocal melody in the pre-chorus. Nice harmonies in the chorus. The energy in this one is awesome. There is a part where most of the instruments drop out at 2:40 or so. The synth motif is very proggy! John’s soaring guitar solo hits at 3:45 and it's wonderful! After another chorus, the song concludes with an a cappella stating of the title. Fantastic track.
Track 3 - Back to the Middle (3:51)
Keys and a marching snare drum are quickly joined by the full band and John’s lead guitar for the intro. The rhythm is a strong mid-tempo groove. The sound is full and rich. I love his voice tone in the opening line “Well, I’m facing hollow promises”... This has a slightly 80s sound to it, lots of reverb and expansive tones. The chorus has a nice hook. His voice reminds me of John Wetton or Greg Lake. A beautiful guitar solo comes in during the middle of the song. The song fades out as it began with the keys and marching snare drum. Wonderful song. Dare I say it…radio friendly?
Track 4 - In Ocean Light (5:59)
A music box-type tone and sound effects initiate things here. Then it’s like a piano ballad with orchestra and mellotron tones. This is a ballad. Subtle drums and bass enter on the second verse. I love the delays when he sings the title line. The intensity is slowly building throughout the song. The guitar solo begins at around 3:45; very melodic. The extended solo develops nicely and becomes more complex and assertive as it goes. There is certainly a David Gilmour influence, but with an occasional fast run. The solo runs all the way until the end of the song. Guitar lovers will really like this one! (And I am a guitar player.)
Track 5 - Ad Astra (4:53)
The title is Latin for “to the stars”. An orchestrated synth part with a spoken-word voice, as if from an interstellar radio transmission, describing the vastness of space, and that some planets are in the “inhabitable zone”. A mid-tempo 6-8 beat, driven by Blundell’s rimshot drum beat keeps the song moving as Mitchell sings. The choruses build the tension. At around 2:40 there is a brief quiet part before John’s guitar playing takes over. Following the solo, the accompaniment is minimal before everything returns soon after. Strong track.
Track 6 - Where in the World (3:45)
This one fades in with a faster tempo pattern. I like the guitar countermelody over the rhythmic soundscape. The vocals begin with minimal keyboard accompaniment; it reminds me of Asia’s “Wildest Dreams”. Of course, Mitchell is in the current version of Geoff Downes’ Asia (not to be confused with John Payne’s Asia), but not as lead vocalist but as the guitarist, but his vocal tone and style would fill that niche nicely. The chorus has a lot of forward momentum. The song cuts loose even more in the bridge at around 2:30. Another masterful guitar solo follows. Awesome track!
Track 7 - Twin Suns (6:22)
This is the longest track on the album. An ominous drone starts us off, soon joined by a cool rhythm pattern. The vocals come in at around 40 seconds. The verses are in 6-4 and I believe we are in 5-4 during the choruses, if I am counting correctly. A short guitar solo happens between the first chorus and second verse. A longer guitar solo follows after the second chorus. I love the refrain of “Twin suns in the distance” as the song fades out. Cool song!
Track 8 - The River (5:55)
A short, but strong intro quickly gives way to the first verse, which is accompanied by acoustic guitar strumming and electric piano. The rhythm section kicks in at around one minute in, following the first verse. I like Blundell’s drum patterns on this song (and throughout the album, for that matter). The acoustic sections give me Pink Floyd vibes. The guitar solo comes in at around 4 minutes. A bridge follows. I like the overall arrangement of this song. The song closes with the line “on and on, the river’s just begun”. Good one.
Track 9 - Rearview (4:39)
This one starts directly after “The River”. Some synth tones give way to a “tribal” type of drum beat, The band joins onto his foundation. Nice key change going into the chorus. I love the production on this album. The melodies here are complex and take some unexpected turns. Awesome drum fill from Blundell as the guitar solo concludes at around 3:55. An intriguing song that will probably require repeated listenings to fully digest.
Track 10 - Bending Light (5:37)
An unusual, distorted synth tone plays arpeggios and Mitchell enters on vocals with a drum machine rhythm. Blundell gives a real drum and cymbal accent a couple of times. Mitchell’s voice sounds anguished. A spoken part is low in the mix, discussing relationships. This is another one that will take multiple listens to fully digest, lyrically, but I am drawn in. Blundell joins in fully at around 3 minutes. The guitar solo begins at around 3:45. His playing and his voice are very expressive. Sound effects and the drum machine pattern close it out. Haunting track.
Track 11 - The Iron Sea (3:50)
Ocean shore sounds fittingly start us off here. Sound effects give an uneasy effect. Michell’s voice reminds me more of Peter Gabriel here. The music builds up and explodes at around 2 minutes with power chords. This one reminds me a little of “Space-Dye Vest” from Dream Theater, at least in its vibe. That is a favorite DT song of mine, so consider that a compliment.
Track 12 - Oblique (3:23)
A simple but slightly disturbing piano pattern in 6-8 stars off the final proper album song. Mitchell’s vocals are bittersweet here, especially as he sings “Sorry, my heart breaks gently”. I believe we are saying goodbye to the “Lonely Robot”...I’m not crying…you’re crying”...
Track 13 - Synthetic (Vinyl only Bonus Track) (3:22)
A sustained synth chord starts us off then John joins in on vocals. There are subtle drums. This is another bittersweet song, with a haunting, yet hopeful vibe. Mostly keys and vocals.
OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
A wonderful close to John Mitchell’s Lonely Robot series of albums. There is a reason that John is so in demand as a guitarist as well as vocalist. While there are lots of synths and electronic sounds, his guitar and vocal parts bring a sense of warmth and humanity. Blundell’s drumming adds a great sense of dimension to the sound as well. I really enjoyed that. There is a lot of depth in the lyrics that will take me some time to fully wrap my mind around, as I am a music first, lyrics later kind of guy. But it is a very strong album that fans of Pink Floyd/David Gilmour and prog/mainstream rock hybrids will truly enjoy. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars (90%).
—
Thanks for reading. If you enjoy my content, please react, comment, share and follow my page.
Also, I have now compiled all of my reviews and spotlights going back to the 100 Greatest Prog Albums challenge on this Blogger site. I hope you’ll check it out while you are here:
Please SUBSCRIBE if you like what you see, and COMMENT on my posts there! If you really like what you see, then “Buy Me a Pizza” at the link on the left!
Prog On!
Scott
__
LINKS for Listening/buying:
The main ordering site for the UK, the EU and the rest of Europe:
https://tigermothhosting.co.uk/LONELYROBOT/index.html
In the USA:
https://thebandwagonusa.com/products/lonely-robot-an-ending-cd-new-artist-pre-order
Videos:
This World View:
https://youtu.be/Mn-zCp5QjdY?list=RDMn-zCp5QjdY
Show the Way:
https://youtu.be/Mn-zCp5QjdY?list=RDMn-zCp5QjdY
“A Mission Log” where John discusses the album.



Comments
Post a Comment