Scott's Song by Song #82: If Not If - Electricity






 Welcome to issue #82 of Scott’s Song By Song (#scottssongbysong).For more information about this series, click here: 


https://www.facebook.com/share/Gc2VkwHQWGLdeaDd/?mibextid=oFDknk



If Not If is a project of UK multi-instrumentalist Greame Ginsberg.  This is the fourth overall release under that name, beginning with two EPs both released in 2021: “Sunshine Everywhere” and “Forgiveness”.  The first LP called “Structure” followed in 2023.  “Electricty”, the subject of today’s review, was released about a month ago on June 26, 2026.  According to Greame, If Not If is:  “a collective of musicians I can call up, the number of players just depending on what the piece calls for. Sometimes they are very big, complex arrangements, layering instruments across150 tracks. Other times it’s like a trio or quartet just set up in the studio and did a couple of live takes.”  Greame also releases music under the name “‘Theories Of’, producing progressive electronic music crossing diverse styles. Theories Of's latest album "BPM" was released in 2025, following album "Connect The Dots", EP "Beautiful Horizon" and singles "Excite" and"Always Two Approaches".  The name “‘If Not If’ sums up the contradictions, ambiguities and dualities that Ginsberg likes to work across – complexity and simplicity, freedom and constraint, harmony and dissonance.” 


I have not heard any of his music prior to now.  The album comes courtesy of Greame Ginsberg himself.  As is my usual method, this is a cold listen, and I always “call it like I hear it”.


Track 1 - Tales of Power (6:47)


We begin with some random guitar notes, but with a maraca rhythm. More percussion joins in and we begin to develop a groove.  After about a minute and a half, the bass joins in and the guitar starts becoming more melodic.  This is getting really funky and fusion-y.  There are a lot of guitar dissonances, but the rhythm section holds it together.  I hear some Frank Zappa influence in the lead guitar style.  This is very improvisatory.  There are two overlapping guitar parts.  A third joins in at around 5 minutes, with a distorted tone.  I like the drum fill that happens just after 6 minutes. Dissonant jazz-fusion isn’t always my cup-of-tea, but I kind of liked that.


Track 2 - Eyes Windows Soul (Part 1) - Surfaces (8:02)


  A synth part with reverb and echoes starts us off here.  Gradually, a guitar part begins to emerge.  By the one-minute point, a moderate beat begins and the tune becomes more melodic and structured.  The next go around sees the drums dropping out, temporarily.  A big clarinet-like synth tone begins dominating the sound.  The bass & drums hold it together. Again, this is not my preferred style, but it is very intriguing.  The drum sound is really good on this, as is the bass.  The music has a lot of breathing space.  The track ends with some tom-tom beats.


Track 3 - Eyes Windows Soul (Part 2) - The Emotions that Remain (7:19)


The tom-tom beats carry over into part 2. This one is more laid-back and less dissonant, so far.  The bass might be a little too high in the mix at times.  At around 2:45 the guitar is unaccompanied and plays some nice lines.  I like the way the bass drum follows the guitar rhythms at around 6:30.


Track 4 - Once Upon a Time (5:14)


A combination of pulsing and sustained sounds starts off here.  I really like how this one is developing.  Very cool bass and percussion parts on this track, so far.  This track seems more cohesive than the first three, which I enjoy.  It really comes together at around 2:40.  This one is a little bluesy even.  There is a nice 6-8 shuffle in the drums.  The bass has some nice syncopated lines, and the synth bed provides a nice foundation for the guitar improvs.  This is my favorite track on the album, so far.


Track 5 - Stepping Out (2:51)


Ooh, I like the opening sounds on this one; it’s a little bit sinister.  The drummer is playing with brushes, and I believe it's an upright bass.  Cool guitar groove.  This gives me the impression of a dark, smoky nightclub in times gone by. A pretty good little track.


Track 6 - So Much Joy (4:43)


A funky drum machine beat starts this one off sounding like something on a Herbie Hancock album from the 80s.  This one really grooves!  Get out your dancin’ shoes!  Great bass lines!  This is probably my favorite guitar solo on the album, so far.  I LOVE the breakdown after the 3-minute point.  Some neat synth parts follow.    Cool track!


Track 7 - Performance (Part 1) - Nostalgia (2:53)


A shaker and sound effects start us off here.  There are some reverse recorded bits.  I assume that being played in reverse represents nostalgia.  Cool percussion bits around the 2 minute point.  I can hear a Jeff Beck influence here.  I think he’s playing fingerstyle on the electric.  Interesting track.


Track 8 - Performance (Part 2) - The Wisdom of the Fool (5:03)


This comes in with a jazzy riff.  Greame plays some unique chord voicings.  It starts to have more of a steady groove around 50 seconds.  I like the part around 1:30 where they really lock in.  Then suddenly–Horn section!  This has more instrumentation than the previous tracks.  Not sure who the drummer and bassist are, but they are both really good.  I like a lot of what is going on here.  A truly interesting track!


Track 9 - Performance (Part 3) Storm (2:46)


It really begins with a thunder-like “bang!”  They are locking into a nice groove here, for a moment.  I like the guitar tone at around 35 seconds.  This one gets a bit chaotic as it goes along, but there is some cool playing.  


Track 10 - Memories of Home (6:05)


This begins with a very different guitar tone from the rest of the album; very clean and chorus-y.  A rhythm begins to emerge at around 30 seconds.  This is adding layers as it progresses.  Gradually a bass drum provides more foundation.  A more rhythmic foundation develops at around 3 minutes in.  Lots of delay effects on the guitars are timed to the rhythm.  It makes for an interesting soundscape.  Things calm down as the track comes to a close.  Pretty good closer.


OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:


As I mentioned, this isn’t always my preferred style, but I do recognize that it was really well done.  I will confess that I was getting a little worried about how this review would play out after the first three tracks.  However, starting with track 4, it started to lock-in a bit more and as such became more enjoyable to my ears.  Greame Ginsberg is a very talented guy, to be sure.  I’m not clear on who the rhythm section players are, but they were quite good as well.  Fans of experimental instrumental jazz-fusion are sure to find a lot to like on this album.  I will give it a strong 4 out of 5 stars (80%)



Thanks for reading.  If you enjoy my content, please react, comment, share and follow my page.  

Also, I have now compiled all of my reviews and spotlights going back to the 100 Greatest Prog Albums challenge on this Blogger site.  I hope you’ll check it out while you are here:



Please SUBSCRIBE if you like what you see, and COMMENT on my posts there!  If you really like what you see, then “Buy Me a Pizza” at the link on the left!



Prog On!

Scott


__


Links for listening/buying:


The album is available on Bandcamp:

https://ifnotif.bandcamp.com/album/electricity




Comments

Popular Posts